Re: NetBSD and USB 3G/4G dongles

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Darren Reed wrote:

> On 10/08/2011 10:32 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:23:48PM +0100, Darren Reed wrote:
> >> How well does NetBSD work (or not work) with the various
> >> USB dongles from European carriers such as O2, T-mobile, etc?
> >
> > Most are handled by u3g with minor adjustments.
>
> Here, O2 has given me one that probes in 5.0 as follows:
>
> umass1 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
> umass1: HUAWEI Technology HUAWEI Mobile, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 3
> umass1: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus1 at umass1: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
> umass2 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1
> umass2: HUAWEI Technology HUAWEI Mobile, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 3
> umass2: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> cd1 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <HUAWEI, Mass Storage, 2.31> cdrom removable
> scsibus2 at umass2: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
> sd4 at scsibus2 target 0 lun 0: <HUAWEI, SD Storage, 2.31> disk removable
> sd4: drive offline
> sd4(umass2:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
>     SENSE KEY:  Not Ready
>      ASC/ASCQ:  Medium Not Present
>
> sd4: unable to open device, error = 19
>
> ... I will be installing -current from yesterday later today.
>
> The u3g man page seems rather light on details on how to
> configure this device and get it running.

sounds like you need to add the product/vendor IDs to the u3g_dev table in
u3g.c -- if it works then you can proceed to pppd on the tty it attaches.

probably the manpage could be improved to suggest that other adapters may
be supported and that adding the vendor/product ID may be necessary

starting pppd on the tty is pretty simple, I have the following three
files

=== /etc/ppp/options

noauth

=== /etc/ppp/peers/hsdpa

/dev/ttyHS0.08
115200
connect "chat -V -f /etc/ppp/chat.hsdpa"
local
crtscts
defaultroute
updetach
debug
noccp
linkname HSDPA
usepeerdns
novj

=== /etc/ppp/chat.hsdpa

#!/usr/sbin/chat -V -f
#
# HSDPA modem chat script
#

ABORT 'ERROR'

TIMEOUT 1
''              AT
OK-AT-OK-AT-OK  AT

TIMEOUT 5
OK              AT&F
OK              ATI
OK              AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","consumerbroadband"

TIMEOUT 30

ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
ABORT 'BUSY'

OK              ATDT*99***1#
CONNECT         ''

===

though I use uhso(4) with Orange network, so you will need some minor
modifications to tty (for u3g) and APN (for O2)

% pppd call hsdpa

just connects it..

iain