Re: shutting out dictionary attacks on ssh passwords

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> For those of us with public IP addresses, what is the most popular
> and effective way to shut out the various door-knob turners who
> keep trying account/password combinations again ssh and other such
> services?
>
> I'm tired of spew on the consoles and log entries ... and I'd prefer
> to shut the door-knob turners out than silence the screaming daemons.

I use the blockhosts python script:

http://www.aczoom.com/blockhosts/

It hooks into tcpwrappers (via the spawn keyword in /etc/hosts.allow), so
you don't need pf etc, it also dosn't poll log files.

--
[http://pointless.net/]                                   [0x2ECA0975]