Re: [patch] bug fix & TCP networking performance improvements

Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 01:57:09PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:
>>
>> tls%panix.com@localhost said:
>> > I don't see any such change in our patch.  Could you point it out?
>>
>> Here (in your devel-vtw-diff1 file):
>
> Argh!  I thought we'd already contributed that back.
>
> I believe this does in fact fix the bug we brought up in our original
> discussion -- that shifting srtt left by 2 as the first step of the
> computation means it is adjusted by 1/2 RTT rather than 1/8.
>
> I do not know whether or how it interacts with Greg's later patches,
> but I don't think those have been checked in yet.

I believe the rttvar calculation is correct as in, modulo the RTO
calculation being wrong.   It would be good for people to review the
comments I just checked in - I chased down all the storage
representations and attempted to demystify the calculations.