Re: [GSoC] : Interest in project

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:02:27AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Hi, Arjun--
>
> On Mar 22, 2011, at 10:50 AM, Arjun S R wrote:
> > I am final year Computer Science graduate student. I went through the
> > list of projects that NetBSD is offering through GSoC.
> > I found a few of them interesting to work on
> >
> > 1) Implement RFC 6056: "Recommendations for Transport-Protocol Port
> > Randomization"
> > 2) Socket option to timestamp UDP packets in the kernel
> >
> > Could someone throw light into the subject on what all files on the
> > source tree should I learn to work with?
>
> For #1, there's a patchset for FreeBSD, which ought to largely apply to
> NetBSD's sys/netinet/in_pcb.c as well:
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~bz/20110313-01-rfc6056.diff

Well, RFC 6056 made me think that just cloning FreeBSD's
implementation would be, well, let's just say that implementing all of
the approaches in the RFC would be better.

And, for the minimalists amongst us, reed@ already did this:

        http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2008/07/11/msg000629.html

so there's a bit more to this project than just copying FreeBSD code.

Regards,
Alistair