Re: Panic: ath wireless card problem

0xd4559890: kernel MCHK trap by bsr4+0x4: srr1=0x49030

Hmm.  We may be reading/writing registers while the hardware has no
power.  I think that would cause a PCI exception that would lead to
MCHK.

Is the interface up when you do that?  It should not fail, regardless,
but I wonder if there is any difference between the problem case and the
following?

ifconfig ath0 up
ifconfig ath0 mediaopt monitor

That's EXACTLY it. ath0 up makes it not panic. That's not to say it works, though, since ifconfig ath0 list scan shows nothing (and I know there are at least 20 networks visible from where I sit). I'll play with it more.

Thanks,
John