Re: Bufferbloat

David Young <dyoung%pobox.com@localhost> writes:

> 4. For bus-mastering NICs, there should not be both a transmission queue
>    *and* a transmission ring, but only a transmission ring.

I would say instead that the total queued packets should be limited to
the plan, regardless of whether the queue is in host memory or already
pushed to the dma controller.  There's merit in keeping the NIC's part
of the queue small if you have a low-latency queue.

It would be a good project to go over altq and figure out if it needs
help to be modern; someone commented privately to me (I think) that altq
wasn't smp-friendly.