Re: routing cleanup project

On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 01:56:36AM +0700, iwan bk wrote:
> Hi All,
> When looking for some simple networking task in netbsd, i found this
> project : http://netbsd.org/contrib/projects.html#routing-cleanup.
>
> It stated : "It's necessary to modify rtalloc(), at least".
> But, i can't find rtalloc() function, only rtalloc1().
>
> So, it seems that the code already cleaned by someone else.

I think you're right, that task must not be up-to-date with the code.

I have thought of a related, simple networking task: use a suitable
abstraction to hide the details of the radix trie (sys/net/radix.c)
implementation of routing-table lookups from the networking code in
sys/net/, sys/netinet/, sys/netinet6/, et cetera.  The idea is that we
should be able to replace the radix trie with a data structure that is
more SMP-friendly, *and* we should be able to improve the networking
stacks with features like multipath routing, lookups based on different
different keys than the packet destination, and so on.

To get an idea how many/few places our networking code is touching the
radix trie directly, look for symbols beginning with RNF_, rnh_, rn_ in
sys/net*/*.[ch].

> It raises another question, is the project listed on
> http://netbsd.org/contrib/projects.htm still up to date?

Probably not.

Dave