Re: How do I keep an inet6 address from being added to an interface?

On Wed, 5 May 2010 10:10:43 -0700
Dennis Ferguson <dennis.c.ferguson%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to configure an interface up without any protocol addresses
> being added to (or protocols enabled on) the interface.  I see,
> however, that the act of typing `ifconfig rtk0 up' results in
> an ipv6 address being added to the interface, which I assume
> also enables ipv6 protocol processing.  How do I make it stop
> doing that?

Hmm after looking at sysctl(8) net.inet6 stubs and in6_ifattach.c there
seems to be no option that I see for that in netbsd-5.  It's part of
the ipv6 standard that interfaces have an automatic link-local address,
and that address can only be used on the local network, but I guess
that it could be legitimate for some administrator to not want a
link-local address configured.

However, it is possible to disable listening to router advertisements
using net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv = 0 and to prevent a v6 socket from
accepting v4 to v6 mapping using net.inet6.ip6.v6only = 1.

Also, have you tried removing the link-local address using ifconfig?
If that works, that address is supposed to remain the same for that
interface, so a script could do it easily once you know the address to
remove.
--
Matt