Re: IPfilter NAT and stalled TCP connexions

Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> Hello
>
> I use IPFilter on a gateway, to perform 1:1 NAT mapping, and I have
> an annoying problem with stalled TCP connexions.
>
> As I understand, the default lifetime of a TCP mapping in the NAT table
> is one minute. After one minute of inactivity for the TCP connexion, the
> mapping vanishes. If the client sends data, the mapping is reinstantiated
> and the TCP connexion resumes normally.
>
> But if the servers sends data on a TCP connexion that has no NAT mapping
> at the moment, the data will not get through. When later the client will
> send data and reinstantiate the mapping, it has a hard time restoring
> the TCP connexion to a usable state. It can remain hang for several
> seconds, or just be disconnected.
>
> Question: how can that be fixed? I canincrease the mapping lifetime,
> but I suspect I will run into ressource shortage.

Basically I think you have to increase the mapping lifetime.  I think
ipfilter will remove mappings on connection close.  I see your point
about resources limits, but that's what you get for violating the e2e
design of IP - if you need state in the middle, then you need it.

1 minute sounds crazy to me for a NAT timeout.  I've run into tables set
for 1 hour and complained about them.  I'd say try 8 hours and see how
that goes.