Re: telnetd: Authorization failed & Connection closed

On Mar 14,  2:08am, hubert%feyrer.de@localhost (Hubert Feyrer) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: telnetd: Authorization failed & Connection closed

| On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Christos Zoulas wrote:
| > When I tested -a valid between two NetBSD machines, it worked fine.
|
| Please read the beginning of this thread:
| http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2010/03/09/msg001917.html

As the documentation says:

                  valid  Only allow connections when the remote user can pro-
                         vide valid authentication information to identify the
                         remote user.  The login(1) command will provide any
                         additional user verification needed if the remote
                         user is not allowed automatic access to the specified
                         account.

So vista and juniper don't implement SRA and the connection is not allowed.
The default NetBSD telnetd configuration is more secure since passwords are
not sent in plaintext over the network. This is why valid is the default.
If you want to send your passwords in plaintext, feel free to change it for
your system, but I don't think that the change is appropriate for everyone.

christos