Re: telnetd: Authorization failed & Connection closed

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Iain Hibbert wrote:
It seems the "valid" setting in telnetd does not fall back to login(1) as it
should, following the documentation.

I'm not sure that the documentation does say that, though its not greatly
clear.. I think it means you cannot connect at all without authorization,
and that login(1) may be called to get your password rather than allowing
automatic access.

My understanding of "valid" is that it'll try to automatically authenticate, and if that doesn't work out fall back to asking login & password. Which it unfortunately doesn't do.

more likely "none" does what you are hoping for? (allow auth, but fall
back to login(1) if none available)

Indeed, "none" works, too.

I do not have an environment where I can test the automated login,
so I'm not sure where to go from here. We know that "off" and "none" work, but should we go and change the default inetd.conf for either now?

Is there anyone that has the "automated authentication" working that can help test this?

 - Hubert