Re: kernel level multilink PPP and maybe (re)porting FreeBSD netgraph

At Sat, 30 Jan 2010 19:35:47 -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon
<tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: kernel level multilink PPP and maybe (re)porting FreeBSD   netgraph

> As far as I know, the standard *is* "MP".  MLPPP -- in my years-ago
> experience anyway -- was Livingston's proprietary predecessor of the
> standard protocol; they don't interoperate.

Well long ago there was RFC 1717, which was written by authors from
Newbridge, UCB, and Lloyd Internetworking, and indeed the title of that
RFC appears to abbreviate "PPP Multilink Protocol" to "MP" (though
perhaps it should be called "PPP-MP").  There was also a protocol from
Ascend called Multichannel Protocol Plus (MP+) and I don't know if/how
it was related to PPP-MP.  Livingston did support RFC 1717 and they also
called it "MP", or sometimes "multi-line load balancing".  If I remember
correctly Lucent bought Livingston, then Ascend.

Initially I need to inter-operate with a concentrator running MPD on
FreeBSD using Netgraph, thus ng_ppp(4), which implements RFC 1990 PPP
Multilink Protocol, probably using UDP encapsulation. (RFC1990 obsoletes
RFC1717)

Porting Netgraph still seems to be the most optimal solution all round,
though perhaps not with the fastest result, unless I can get help on the
FreeBSD side at making the code more portable.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 416 218 0099        http://www.planix.com/