Re: kernel level multilink PPP and maybe (re)porting FreeBSD netgraph

At Sat, 30 Jan 2010 15:11:03 -0600, David Young <dyoung%pobox.com@localhost>
wrote:
Subject: Re: kernel level multilink PPP and maybe (re)porting FreeBSD   netgraph

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 03:59:29PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > The kernel code (if indeed it has any client code -- not sure yet)
> > doesn't seem to allow forwarding through UDP or TCP.  It does mention
> > PPTP, and PPPoE in places but those don't really help me directly.
>
> You can operate gre(4) over UDP without involving userland, does that
> help any?

Well, if/when whatever does client-side MLPPP can be configured to use
GRE tunnels as members of a bundle, and assuming I can convince MPD on
the server side to stick a ng_gre node in before the ng_ppp node on each
incoming bundle, then yes, it would help.

Ideally though I just want to encapsulate the PPP frames in UDP to be
directly compatible with MPD on the server side.

> Is MLPPD necessary/desirable for some reason?

I'm not sure what MLPPD is -- Did you mean MLPPP?  If so, then yes,
MLPPP is, currently, a core feature of the project I'm working on.

(MLPP is something else entirely I think -- the closest thing to network
protocols I can find is MLPP-over-IP.)

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.