Re: IPFilter 4.1.33 with backward compatibility

matthew green wrote:
> hi darren.
>

> thank you so much for working on this.  it's been 12 years or
> more coming (since i first asked anyway :-)
>
> i patched my netbsd-current kernel with your changes.  it seems
> to mostly work.  i'm having trouble loading ipf rules on 32 bit
> platforms.
>
> it seems to be 64-bit time-t related.  struct frentry has a
> struct timeval, which has changed (on 32 bit only...) struct
> frentry{} in 5.0 on i386 is 396 bytes, but 400 in -current.
>

> fixing this looks really ugly, i'm afraid to say...

Hmmm, maybe the thing to do is to put that timeval (and any
others) in a union that's 12 bytes in size and bump the version
of ipfilter (that will happen anyway before these changes are
committed.)

There is one program that will break - ipmon. The way to fix
this might be to define "struct iplog" to use long for what it
puts seconds in and store the time in a local variable that
then is copied in. At some later date, an ioctl could be added
that tells ipfilter what size timestamp ipmon can deal with.

Afterall, the goal isn't to remain backward compat with 5.99.X,
only actual releases, such as 5.0.

Darren