Re: Simple multicast question

David Arnold wrote:
> It is usually recommended to bind a socket intended to receive a single
> multicast group to that group's address in order to have the kernel
> discard unicast datagrams received addressed to the same port number.

It is usually expected that bind(2) will bind an inet socket to a specific
address instead of filtering datagrams. I wrote a message [1] on this
mailist about 2 years ago about how multicast datagrams are matched in our
code and why it does look erroneous to me. I still believe that patch should
be checked in.

[1] - http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=netbsd-tech-net&a=2007-12&m=5989732