Re: fwip(4) carrier detection

Quentin Garnier wrote:
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 09:19:00PM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
Hi List

fwip(4) lacks carrier detection that most other drivers offer.
How hard would it be to add?

Or another solution for me would be to rely on SIOCGIFMEDIA working down the interface is down. This seems to work for bge(4) - should this generally be the case?

What does carrier detection mean in the context of fwip(4)?  What in
your opinion should happen for a host that has more than one firewire
port and only one controller?

You have to keep in mind fwip(4) is not Ethernet.

Well, on my systems I have fwip0 reported as an interface.
It does not advertise carrier, so dhcpcd will automatically try and get an IP address and fail. This normally isn't an issue, but I'm looking at getting dhcpcd to background when after getting an IP or no interface has a carrier. NetBSD is my only system where fwip0 is visible by default, so I'd like to get something done, either in dhcpcd or in NetBSD.

Thanks

Roy