Re: ath, wpa_supplicant and ioctl(SIOCS80211)

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Steven Bellovin wrote:
[snip]
For laughs, I commented out the power handler lines in if_ath_pci.c:
      if (!pmf_device_register(self, ath_pci_suspend, ath_pci_resume))
              aprint_error_dev(self, "couldn't establish power handler\n");
      else {
              pmf_class_network_register(self, &sc->sc_if);
              pmf_device_suspend_self(self);
      }

On my machine, this stopped the device disappearing in pcictl output (and also removed the "Skipping broken PCI header on 2:0:0" line - perhaps normally the device is being powered down too aggressively).

On the test machine, nothing is listed in "pcictl pci2 list". It is as though the device is present throughout autoconf, but then disappears. There is nothing in dmesg regarding this.

What is the effect on suspend/resume of deleting those lines?

I've not tried, but I guess it will fail to suspend because of the driver no longer registering a suspend handler.

--
Stephen