Re: maintainers/users of de(4), lmc(4) ?

>>      I'm fairly certain that I built a 4-port "OSPF" box at $work
>> using these (or some Linksys labeled Macronics) back around '94 or '95.
>> It ran whatever was NetBSD-current back then (as did all the non-Solaris
>> servers).
>
>According to MX98715A manual, it was released in 1998
>(and NetBSD's de(4) driver first appeared on June 1995)
>so maybe you are talking about some other cards.

        Probably, but _definitely_ a "brand-name" card with
some Macronics in it.  It could have been as late as early '96,
but not (much) after ("we" sold the start-up, and hired a "real"
IT department before that - so I wasn't doing infrastructure stuff
after late '95)

>Anyway, de(4) never supports clones so it's a different problem
>from the topic of this thread.

        _Supported_, or worked with the PCI IDs added?  I long ago
lost count of drivers I "hacked" like that but never pr'd (and also
HW where I changed PCI IDs and other bits in EEPROM so they would
"work" - e.g. ath chips w/ the "closed" HAL).

>>      Ah ha....  Did you check a xx715AEC or a xx715AEC-C?
>
>Marking of the chip is MX98715AEC. dmesg says:
>>> tlp0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: Macronix MX98715A Ethernet, pass 2.0
>I guess AEC-C should have pass 2.5 or later.

        I'd have to plug these in to see - Hmm... One "busted" one from
just a couple years ago (booted in a ancient machine):

fetched from the scrap pile :-)
This card hangs on auto-negotiation, and drops the majority of packets
at any 100Mbs media setting.  Looks like it was run about 2 years ago.
Anything older, or actually using de, would probably mean reading old
DAT tapes, which I haven't even tried in years :-(

chip is labeled xx715AEC - last known boot (note: 4.99.20 was unstable
on this hardware and it was reverted to 4.99.3 for the remaining week
or so during which I was running).

NetBSD 4.99.20 (NEPAL-$Revision: 1.1 $) #0: Thu Jun 21 20:39:29 PDT 2007
tlp0 at pci0 dev 12 function 0: Macronix MX98715A Ethernet, pass 2.0
tlp0: broken MicroWire interface detected; setting SROM size to 1Kb
intr_establish(legacy_irq 15 pin 15 type 3 level 7)
tlp0: interrupting at irq 15
tlp0: Ethernet address 00:80:ad:xx:xx:xx
tlp0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

NOTE: The OUI says the vendor was "CNET", but the retail box for this
particular card was NetGear (not Linksys as some/most of the others).

>>      Macronics kept changing the chip revs and the chips (_without_
>> changing revs)
>
>There is an interesting log message ;-)
>http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/source-changes/1999/09/29/0053.html

        Yes, and it seems to properly reflect the actual level of
functionality.  I suspect FreeBSD kern/18526 was the same issue I saw
on NetBSD.  This URL _may_ hint at part of the cause:
        http://markmail.org/message/mx6raztubfli5yp6

>---
>Izumi Tsutsui

BTW. IIRC, All of mine say "broken MicroWire" - both those with and without
ROM sockets.