Re: ifconfig change MAC address

I should have read the man pages more carefully.

ifconfig <interface> link <mac address> active

Arnaud Degroote wrote:
Le mardi 28 juillet 2009 16:26:15, Victor Dorneanu a écrit :
> Hi there!
> Is there any reason why "ifconfig" doesn't implement any options on
> changing MAC addresses? Why do I have to use this
> ( workaround?

From what I understand from the man, it is supported since 5.0 using

ifconfig iface link layer2_addr activate

(see section examples and explanation for keyword activate).

Arnaud Degroote
PhD student

Victor Dorneanu

- Web:
- Mail:

GnuPGP information
- KeyID = 0xFFABDCB4 (
- Key fingerprint = 926F 8BFE 010A 8992 8914 BA5A 8919 BE7E FFAB DCB4