Re: New format for IPv6 autoconf settings

Salut,

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 02:11:46PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009, Tonnerre LOMBARD wrote:
> >My suggestion would be to add a new setting which is used by default
> >which is ip6mode=custom. This mode would make the whole thing respect
> >a variable called autoconf_interfaces or something. The other modes
> >would be changed to set accept_rtadv on all interfaces or not.
> >
> >What do people think about that?
>
> Please elaborate - I can only guess that you want a per-interface
> autoconf (accept router advertizements), is that your goal?
> If so, I guess the sysctl interface needs to be changed, too...

The ndp interface has been changed yesterday. Now the init scripts
need to be updated. I'm just not sure everybody agrees with what I
have in mind.

But yes, that's my goal.

> In general, I think it may make sense to restrict autoconfig to only
> a few intertaces, but I don't know if that's in accordance with the
> RFCs. Back then when we got IPv6 ISTR that there was something that
> said that you cannot e.g. use autoconf on one interface of a router,
> and do static config on another one. The reasons escaped me, though.

That doesn't mean one has to accept route advertisements on all
interfaces though.

                                Tonnerre