Re: kern/41597: Load balancing (ECMP) on NetSD 3.1

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 07:40:00 +0000 (UTC)
wajid.mohammed%wipro.com@localhost wrote:

> Does NetBSD 3.1 has support for Load balancing?
> How can I configure Load Balancing on NetBSD in case it has this support?

I am not sure about older ECMP features if any, but NetBSD has CARP(4)
(see http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?carp+4+NetBSD-5.0), which was
added in netbsd-4 and over.  There might be other redundancy and load
balancing solutions but I don't personally know them, other than using
DNS pools (resolving a common host/domain name to various addresses,
which named(8) can do).

Unfortunately, the TNF support for netbsd-3 has ended after the release
of NetBSD 5.0 (see http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/end_of_life_for_3
for more details) so it is unlikely for CARP(4) to be officially
pulled-up to netbsd-3 at this time...

However, since this is a network related question, the
tech-net%netbsd.org@localhost mailing list might be a good place to discuss your
problem further for community support (see
http://www.netbsd.org/mailinglists/#tech-net and
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/tindex.html).
I cross-posted this reply there.

Thanks,