Re: CVS commit: src/sys

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 04:57:05AM +0000, Darran Hunt wrote:

> Adds SIOCINITIFADDR support to the wm driver for setting the AF_LINK
> address, necessary for agr to be able to set the mac addresses of each
> port to the agr address (i.e. so it can receive all intended traffic
> at the hardware level).

FWIW: the MAC-address-setting code in agr was not working before with
any commonly available interface, so this was what we initially came
up with to make agr work at all (otherwise, it will work only with
tcpdump attached, because that puts the "wrong address" receive
interface or interfaces in promiscuous mode).  I'm now aware there's
a new interface for managing interface MAC addresses, but it doesn't
seem to currently work for agr.  Because agr's been broken for so long,
it's been bitrotting -- so I asked Darran to check this code in for now
so people can at least use agr and try to shake out the bugs.

> Adds support for disabling the LACP protocol by setting LINK1 on the agr
> interface (e.g. ifconfig agr0 link1).

I think static configuration is generally useful, but also, in our testing
we've never seen agr's LACP implementation negotiate properly, either with
another agr instance or with a real switch.  If anyone _does_ get LACP to
work with agr I'd very, very much like to know!

Thor