Re: Design misfeature of dhclient for multiple interfaces

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 3:24 AM, Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 21:42 -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> Certainly one approach.  dhcpcd might handle this better, too.
>
> It does! But currently only for Linux.
> Linux has route metrics, which means that you can install multiple
> routes to the same destination. See attached route output for an
> example.
> re0 is wired, ral0 is wireless. As re0 has the lower metric it will be
> the preferred route. The kernel takes care of everything :)
>
> No BSD currently supports route metrics, which poses a problem. To be
> able to solve this, dhcpcd needs to work like dhclient and have one
> instance handling multiple interfaces (dhcpcd-4 and earlier are single
> instance per interface by design). This has already been done and works
> very well. The code is also a lot smaller and whilst memory usage for
> the instance has increased (duh - more interfaces == more memory) it's
> still more efficient than dhclient by quite some margin.
>
> I'll email tech-net@ when this is done so I can get some testing done.
> Should be done somewhere over the next few days or weeks - prod me if I
> take a bit longer ;)

I've used that feature of linux before and it is handy (although it
only addresses routes and not resolv.conf, etc), but until that
feature is available on netbsd would it be possible to fail all config
changes if one of them doesn't work?  (or even better- arbitrarily
group them per config?)