Re: ifconfig -a error

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 07:01:30PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:03:27AM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 09:57:35AM +0100, Iain Hibbert wrote:
>
> > > % ifconfig eon0
> > > eon0: flags=3<UP,BROADCAST> mtu 1500
> > >         address: 00:00:00:00:00
> > >
> > > now, clearly this is not right but it indicates that eonattach is not
> > > setting the address properly. What is the eon address supposed to be?
> >
> > The link-layer address on an eon(4) instance only holds the instance
> > name.  A gre(4) also has a lladdr, but gre(4) also sets if_addrlen to 0.
> > Maybe eon(4) should do the same?
>
> eon(RFC 1070) is, basically, ISO CLNL encapsulated (with a small header for
> flags) inside IPv4 - indeed similar to gre, gif etc. In fact, gif has some
> incomplete eon handling code.
>
> So, logically, the ll addr is the (outer) IPv4 address. How *should*
> it do this / what do the others do?

I think that eon should set if_addrlen to 0.

> (And should it, maybe, be replaced by some glue in gif?)

The answer is "yes" in the short term, perhaps.  In the long term, eon,
etherip, gif, and gre should become personalities of a generic tunnel
pseudo-interface that is extracted from gre.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24