Re: IPv6 link local address generation for P2P interfaces

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 08:42:30PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> When I did ppp, all it took was +ipv6 or something like that in the
>> configs on both sides and it came up with working link-local addresses,
>> and then RIPng on both sides, and the attached ethernets on both systems
>> were routed to each other.
>
> As I said my question might have been naive - never played with IPv6
> before. What you describe is exactly what happens here, the missing point
> is that I did not run RIPng yet.

Maybe, but I'm not convinced.

> The interfaces come up like this:
>
> pppoe1: flags=8851<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
>         inet X.X.X.X -> Y.Y.Y.Y netmask 0xff000000
>         inet6 fe80::a00:20ff:fe99:fc91%pppoe1 ->  prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xb
>
> The first confusing point is that this gives no hint wether IPCP6 succeeded
> or not (it did, I checked via the debug log); with a INET6 enabled kernel all
> pppoe interface look like this, even those to providers that do not support
> v6.

that sounds ok

> Will /etc/rc.d automatically run RIPng for me if I configure ip6mode
> to router?

I don't think so.

>> Do you have a provider that will do IPv6 over pppoe?
>
> Yes.

The missing step here is that they should be providing you with a global
address somehow, and really a /48.  Did they convey that to you out of
band?  Or is that supposed to be in some PPP options?  Have you
configured it?  Did they say they want to run RIPng with you?  See is@'s
mail - I suspect that's closer to what you want.