Re: dhcpcd-4.0.0-alpha1 ready for review

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:17:48 +0100
Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:

> On Thursday 17 April 2008 12:47:20 Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > > What sort of "function" did you have in mind?
> > > script per $reason?
> > > script for ntp, resolv, nis, hostname, etc?
> >
> > Yes...
> >
> > More seriously -- I look at it functionally: what is a user likely
> > to want to change?  You may do some stuff per $reason; you're more
> > likely to do stuff per area (ntp, resolv, etc.).
>
> I suppose the main script could handle resolv.conf and we could then
> provide hook scripts for ntp and nis, which people could then use for
> reference to make their own.

Actually, I do override resolv.conf -- the default doesn't work well
for me.  I run a caching resolver on my laptop, and point resolv.conf
to 127.0.0.1 -- otherwise, applications like firefox have trouble when
I switch locations and the old name servers are no longer reachable.
(I think that OpenBSD checks for resolv.conf changing -- we should
import that code.)  So what I do is modify something included by my
named.conf and do a named reload.