managed switches on mii(4)

Hi,

I'm interested in being able to control a 5/6-port managed switch
attached to a bce(4)'s mii(4) interface.

I saw the idea of using bridge(4) to take advantage of the  hard-
ware  switch,  but  somehow this seems like an unusual idea.  The
switch hardware has more configuration options than  just  bridg-
ing.  (Although  those  features may not be fully documented pub-
licly.)

A CatOS-like method of interface configuration seems to not match
traditional unix methods, but other methods of configuration such
as those used by OpenWrt sometimes seem clumsy, or at least  con-
fusing.

So,  what options have people thought about?  What are their pros
and cons?

        Jonathan Kollasch