Re: destroy ppp(4) on closing tty

Yasuoka Masahiko <yasuoka%iij.ad.jp@localhost> writes:

> I wonder why ppp(4) destroys itself when the attached tty is closed.
> tun(4) doesn't destroy itself when the attached device file is closed.
>
> Is there somebody knows the reason?

Does the ppp(4) get created when something on the tty sets line
discipline to PPP?  If so, it makes sense to destroy on close.

If a tun is created by a call on a descriptor, I'd say it too should be
destroyed on close.  If it's created by 'ifconfig tun0 create', then it
shouldn't be destroyed on close.