Re: GSoC 2008 - Create an in-kernel API for "packet classes"

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 05:01:53PM -0500, anish babu wrote:
> Extending mbuf header is inefficient as for every mbuf of a packet (
> which can have multiple mbufs) we are allocating more kernal space
> unnecessarily. It suffices if we add an additional m_tag for each
> packet.

Having done exact the embedding of basic FW state and ALTQ options into
the pkthdr on DragonFly -- it is much simpler and faster, the only
difference is that it has to switch to clusters a bit earlier. That is
not a big deal if you ensure that you have at least 80 byte or so in the
first mbuf free (mbuf size - pkthdr size).

Joerg