[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
test please: turning ifioctl inside-out
Please test these patches,
affect network interfaces of all kinds.
I'm patching up the kernel so that a network driver always has the
opportunity to handle an ioctl before generic ifioctl handling occurs.
This will ease extending the kernel and sharing of code between drivers.
Right now, ifioctl() works sort of like this:
1. maybe call ifioctl_common()
2. call driver ioctl (wm_ioctl, pppoe_ioctl, fwip_ioctl)
3. driver calls class ioctl (ether_ioctl, sppp_ioctl, ieee1394_ioctl)
4. maybe call ifioctl_common()
With the changes I plan, it will work more like this:
1. call driver ioctl (wm_ioctl, pppoe_ioctl, fwip_ioctl)
2. driver calls class ioctl (ether_ioctl, sppp_ioctl, ieee1394_ioctl)
3. class calls generic ioctl (ifioctl_common)
I am converting to this new ioctl regime one step at a time. I have
attached a patch that converts SIOCSIFCAP and SIOCSIFMTU to the new
David Young OJC Technologies
dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24
Main Index |
Thread Index |