Re: MAC address issue

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:39:02PM +0000, Sean Boudreau wrote:
> Is this PR 30665?  The patch therein seems sufficient?

IMO, there is no need for Yet Another Ioctl.  I have some more
complaints about that patch:

        1 the patch is not applicable to -current, where we do not any
          longer assume that the first ifaddr is the link-layer
          address
        2 the patch does not produce any routing messages to indicate
          a change of lladdr
        3 there is no way to restore the h/w default lladdr
        4 the patch only treats the case where the lladdr length
          is 6 octets
        5 the patch resets every interface, always (IFF_UP -> !IFF_UP
          -> IFF_UP)
        6 the patch puts some address-family specific knowledge into
          net/if.c, the arp_ifinit() calls

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24