Re: Memory debugging question...

[FOLLOWUP - what I've discovered]

>>On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 05:12:44AM -0800, patrick%klos.com@localhost wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm working on a NIC driver for a 10 Gbps NIC and I have the basics working,
>>> but I clearly have a memory leak.  The thing is, I don't see the leak when I
>>> look at the output of 'vmstat -m'.  I see the memory climb in the output of
>>> 'top' - it indicates that the "File" memory usage is continually climbing
>>> when I have transfers happening.
>>
>>Are these transfers coming from or going to a file system?
>
>Neither.  They're simple UDP sends and receives, or they're 8900 byte ICMP
>pings (in jumbo packets).

This is what happens when I have too many things going on at once!

It turns out that many of my tests involved doing simple FTP transfers, so
the File cache would easily be involved with those tests.

After checking every alloc for a free, and every map for an unmap, and then
removing 98% of my debug output (kernel printf), the driver seems to run
fine without an apparent memory leak.  More testing is underway.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions!

Patrick
    Patrick Klos                           Email: patrick%klos.com@localhost
    Network/Embedded Software Engineer     Web:   http://www.klos.com/
    Klos Technologies, Inc.                Phone: 603-714-0195