Re: please test: ethernet media-handling patch

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 10:46:35PM +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 02:48:00PM -0600, David Young wrote:

> > > Ah. Okay, this was just me being dense then.
> >
> > I don't think so.  The patch does deserve a test on the actual hardware,
> > and that is why I did not commit it outright.  Somebody thought that it
> > was important enough to loop over all PHYs and reset them that they wrote
> > the code.  I don't think that it matters, since mii_media_chg() will reset
> > or configure every PHY, but I hope that someone with the h/w will test.
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  When I just plug out the cable from
> the laptop, go to the other lab, and plug in - will the driver
> notice that it has to renegotiate even with your changes?

Yes.

It is not my intention to change the way any driver works, just to share
code and to simplify code.

If my patch affects a driver that you depend on, I ask that you please
test the patch.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24