tech-multimedia archive

Re: uvideo webcam on big-endian systems

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 20:29 +0100, Frank Wille wrote:
> Unfortunately I cannot tell, because the system reboots now before any
> mplayer output is generated. :(

> After a reboot I saw in "messages" that the kernel (5.99.41) panicked:

> 0xd453fd30: at usb_allocmem+0x40
> 0xd453fd60: at ehci_device_isoc_start+0x244
> 0xd453fdd0: at usbd_transfer+0x78

Particularly interesting because ehci_device_isoc_start doesn't call
usb_allocmem - I'm going to assume the compiler inlined ehci_alloc_itd.

What normally occurs is ehci_device_isoc_start allocates itd's for a
transfer outside of interrupt context. When the transfer completes, they
get put on a free queue, then immediately taken off again when the usb
transfer gets rescheduled. Normally that means no new memory gets
allocated when ehci_device_isoc_start follows ehci_device_isoc_done.
Clearly something's gone wrong here though.

Ultimately usb should be using pool_cache(9) for memory, unfortunately
usb predates it. However, I think the only reason this panic is
happening is due to a race, or some other fluke condition. Certainly,
adding those printfs and memset can only have altered timings.

If you try streaming with that kernel again a few times, does it panic
100% of the time?

--
Thanks,
Jeremy