tech-misc archive

Re: Objections to converting bsd-family-tree to a dot file

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:54 AM, David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 08:18:47PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
 > > > I have seen no presentation of a reasonable way to view the
 > > > graph in plain text.
 > >
 > >
 > > I have no personal experience with it, but a quick Google search says
 > > there are programs based on the Graph::Easy library that can
 > > render DOT files as ASCII.
 >
 > And we have to pull what exactly into base or comp to use "Graph::Easy"?

My vote would be to ship it in base as SVG and PDF, and forget the
text version. This is 2017 and everyone has a PDF reader of some kind
in their UI somewhere.

(and yes, maybe we ought to be able to read PDFs in base, but that's
far from a critical issue)

Assuming that the generated graph is something that isn't... well... crazy...

Warner