tech-misc archive

Re: Getting the whole repository using sup

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:42:34PM -0200, Silas Silva wrote:
 > > I must say, my first instinct is to say "don't use sup"...
 >
 > Why?

Because it's a superannuated pile?

 > And what alternatives I have? According to the same page, rsync
 > seem to "puts a heavy load on our rsync server" and cvsup is not on the
 > base (ok, it is not difficult to install it from pkgsrc...).
 >
 > Any recommendations about getting the repository?

If you want a complete copy of the repository *,v files, use rsync;
otherwise, cvs checkout.

I believe the intent of the caution about rsync is meant to read along
the lines of "don't do this unless you have a real use for it, and
don't rerun rsync excessively often", not "don't do this ever".

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost