tech-misc archive

Testing a 5.0 kernel remotely (Dedibox FWIW)

Hi list,

Please Cc: me when replying as I'm nto subscribed.

I rent a dedicated server on which I've installed NetBSD 4.0.  I have
root access through ssh, but no access to the console.  I'd like to
switch to NetBSD 5.0 but it seems it cannot boot.  Unfortunately I can't
see the panic message and, worse for me, once the 5.0 kernel is
installed, I can't go back to the previous working one.  So for each
failing kernel I have to reinstalled the box from scratch.

I'd like to know if there is anything I can do to easy my life.

For example, FreeBSD has nextboot(8) which allows to boot a new kernel
only once.  Whether it works or not doesn't matter, on the second
reboot, the old kernel will be booted.  It would at least prevent me
from reinstalling the box after each unsuccessful test.

Another interesting thing for me, would be to capture the panic message
somewhere.  Maybe dump the kernel messages to a pre-configured dedicated
partition, or something.

Any idea is welcome.
Regards,
--