Re: kernel goes dark on boot

Le Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 10:00:10AM -0400, Jared McNeill a écrit :
> Yeah sorry you can?t just not exit boot services and boot the OS. UEFI code has certain expectations around the execution environment (MMU on, 1:1 PA to VA for example) that starting the kernel is going to interfere with. The moment the kernel touches the MMU, all of the resident UEFI code will cease to function. This includes code that may be running asynchronously (timers etc) that are not stopped properly due to the missing ExitBootServices call.

FWIW, having followed EDK II development list for a while, there are
further modifications at the moment made because a lot of people are
focusing on VMs (there is quite a market on this) and want to use
EDK II UEFI code as emulated BIOS. And it must be noted that qemu seems
to be the main target.

Just a caveats for the braves who want to follow this...

T. Laronde

                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/