Re: bounty for virtio 1.0 (now with instructions!)

On Dec 18, 2020, at 2:21 PM, Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 01:08:23AM -0800, Chris Hanson wrote:
>> NetBSD could also use a VirtIO console device, since that’s all
>> Virtualization.framework offers on macOS 11 (whether on x86-64 or Apple
>> Silicon).
>
> From what I see in videos on youtube, the tooklit displays a standard VGA
> display with apparently a number of text consoles next to it?

Virtualization.framework does not currently expose any sort of display, keyboard or pointing device. All it exposes as a "console" is VirtIO Console. It also lets you set up socket, network, mass storage, entropy, and memory balloon devices.

> Qemu can create a number of console devices that need to be paired with
> various backends like pipes or sockets etc. I presume the virtualization
> framework on macosX11 is providing terminals for each of the activated
> terminals?

macOS 11's Virtualization.framework does not provide terminals or views. I don't know what the videos you're watching are, but the framework is very focused right now.

  -- Chris