Issues with older wd* / IDE on various platforms

Hi, all,

I've noticed problems in three places and only recently did it occur to me that they may all be related.

1) the last time I tried to install NetBSD on an hpcarm Jornada, I got stuck because once the kernel booted from Windows CE, it couldn't access the CompactFlash card.

2) recently I tried running NetBSD-9 and -current on an m68040 Mac Quadra 630. After booting, the kernel would show some errors but would never be able to talk to the IDE disk. The exact hardware and disk work fine with NetBSD-7 kernels, though.

3) my colocated Amiga 1200 lost the ability to write to its CompactFlash card, which is attached to IDE, that is used for booting the kernel. I thought the card went bad, so I mailed a new one to the datacenter, but the issue contiued. This happened, I think, around the beginning of the year when I upgraded to NetBSD-9. Now I have no way to upgrade the kernel remotely :(

All three of these machines have much older IDE, so I'm wondering what in NetBSD changed that may've have caused this.

Soon I'll be back and will have access to the Quadra and Jornada, and I'm open to suggestions about which commits to examine and to test.

Thanks,
John Klos