Re: kernel 8.2 and 9.1 crashes

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 07:35:24AM +0100, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> I tried to recompile a kernel, with 8.2 and with 9.1 and both
> crash, 9.1 with:
>
> unable to execute instruction 0x18 (SMEP)
>
> (from memory)

This is (I guess) the kernel jumping through a NULL function pointer.

> The kernel enters debugging but the keyboard being unusable (no key
> does whatever) I have to hard reboot.

Does boot -c work for you?
If it works, try disabling all USB host controllers, like:

disable ehci
disable xhci

and then see if the keyboard works in the debugger. We need a backtrace
(bt command) from the crash.

If that does not help, rebuild a local kernel with:

	options DDB_COMMANDONENTER="bt"

Martin