Re: Logging a kernel message when blocking on entropy

Hauke Fath wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 11:09:25 +0300, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:
> > I have now committed the code to log the message, without rate
> > limiting.  If a consensus should arise that rate limiting the message
> > is a good idea, the code to do that should be committed by someone in
> > favor of it.
>
> I have seen kernel subsystems spam the console to the point of making
> it unusable, which can get quite awkward on production machines.
>
> While I don't know if this is a relevant scenario for your change,
> declaring it "somebody else's problem" has a funny ring.

I have already explained why I believe it's not a relevant scenario
for this change.  And I don't mean to make it someone else's problem -
I take full responsibility for my commit, and if it turns out that it
actually causes spammage, I will fix that one way or another.

And similarly, if rate limiting is added and causes problems, I expect
the developer adding it to take responsibility for that commit.  I just
don't want to end up being held responsible for problems caused by rate
limiting I never wanted in the first place.
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson%gson.org@localhost