Re: New "ahcisata0 port 1: device present" messages with NetBSD 9

from Izumi Tsutsui:

> >     ahcisata0 port 1: device present, speed: 3.0Gb/s

> > for the two attached SSDs, seemingly triggered by disk activity.  These
> > SSDs are running as a RAIDframe mirror.  Unpacking the 9.0_RC1 sets with
> > the new kernel triggered around 50 of these, as well as a few "soft
> > error (corrected)" messages like these:

> >     wd0a: error writing fsbn 15440256 of 15440256-15440271 (wd0 bn 15452544; cn 15329 tn 14 sn 30), xfer 330, retry 0

> > Second, can this be fixed assuming it's a software issue? :)

> I have similar problems, as filed in PR/54790.
>  https://gnats.netbsd.org/54790

> No "ahcisata0 port 1: device present, speed: 3.0Gb/s"
> but many soft errors.  No error on NetBSD 8.1 GENERIC.

> The problem here doesn't happen once after disabling NCQ by
> "hw.wd2.use_ncq=0" in /etc/sysctl.conf.

Excerpt from Simon Burge:

> For now, I'm running with this in /etc/rc.d/sysctl0 (should be run
> before fsck of /):

Maybe this sysctl has to be in place from the outset, before user gets to the login prompt?

So I appended to /etc/sysctl.conf for NetBSD 8.99.51 amd64 and i386
hw.wd1.use_ncq=0
and rebooted to make the change take effect.

Even so, it can take many hours to several days for the hard drive crash to occur, so it is too early to see if this will work on a Western Digital Green hard drive.

So far, I have been lucky in not suffering data loss, "fsck_ffs /dev/dk14" (the /home partition) put me back in business.

Tom