Re: modules item #14 revisited

On Sat, Dec 07, 2019 at 04:35:07PM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:

> On Dec 7,  4:31pm, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> } On Dec 7,  8:55pm, abs%absd.org@localhost (David Brownlee) wrote:
> }
> } | Very much like this - would assume that modules.tgz goes away?
>
>      I can't say I'm a fan of this.  I would hope that it goes away
> once we get serious about having a stable KABI for modules.  Modules
> shouldn't be tied to a particular kernel the way they currently
> are.

I was of the same opinion but have realised we'll never get to that point.
For a plain release version of NetBSD I think it's not really an issue.
Also going for something more rigid makes sense for a commercial Unix but
for us I think it would needlessly put a limit on innovation.

> Note that i386 includes an additional set of modules for Xen PAE.

This was something that Manuel and I originally disagreed on.  I wanted x86
native & Xen to share modules but I don't have a strong opinion on it any
more.

Andrew