Re: Proposal, again: Disable autoload of compat_xyz modules

> Do you want to contribute and do all the actual dirty work for once,
> or you're just here to talk and give your random opinions on things
> you've never invested yourself in?  What is your background?  What is
> your portfolio?

You're right that I'm not particularly invested in the original issue;
I don't use Linux compatability myself and I don't run NetBSD more
recent than 5.2 on my own machines (at one of my jobs it looks as
though 8.0 will get used - the reasons I don't run it don't apply
there).  I got involved in this thread because invalid "arguments" like
made-up usage statistics bother me.  I'm not opposed to the change per
se (I'm not sure whether I think it would actually be a good thing);
I'm opposed to doing it for specious reasons like "<1% users
interested".

My background?  B.Sc. mathematics major, computer science minor.
Programming since the late '70s, been making my living programming
and/or sysadminning since 1984.  Been involved with UNIX as a user
since BSD 4.1c, with NetBSD since shortly before the split that led to
OpenBSD.

My portfolio?  Look for "der Mouse" in mail-index.n.o's archives for my
past presence on the lists (including source-changes for what I did
back when I was still committing).   Look for
mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost for my presence after I dropped the "der" -
possibly mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost too; I forget which change
occurred first.  Look at ftp.rodents-montreal.org:/mouse/git-repos and
clone whichever of them you care to.  Perhaps the most notable ones are
moussh, git-interactive, livebackup, Mouse/games/blockade,
Mouse/dreamcast, Mouse/mousemuck, Mouse/vax-emul, Mouse/netbsd-fork/*.
Historically, there's also Mouse-X (an X implementation for 2bpp NeXT
hardware - that one isn't a git repo AFAIK).  Look at
ftp.rodents-montreal.org; much of what's there is old versions of stuff
I now keep in git repos (I really kneed to clean it up), but there's
probably at least a little other stuff there.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign