Re: NCHNAMLEN vnode cache limitation removal

On Fri 13 Sep 2019 at 18:04:06 +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 09:43:18AM +0300, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>  > Another advantage of de-duping the name strings is that you can
>  > compare names by testing pointer equivalence.
>
> I'd expect that trying to dedup the strings would destroy all the
> available parallelism.

One could have a hybrid method: if the pointers are the same, the
strings surely are, and otherwise the strings can be compared as before.
Maybe a string that is detected as duplicate in the second case can be
easily reduced to the deduped version from that point onwards.
It would need to be tested how much that wins and loses in regards to
comparison time vs. parallelism and that sort of things.

-Olaf.
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- rhialto at falu dot nl
___  Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on