[GSoC 2019] Tentative interest in the tickless kernel project

Hello,

I am a student, and am strongly considering participating in Google
Summer of Code for the following summer.
I know a NetBSD developer, so I am interested in contributing to NetBSD.

First, some background about me:
I have been programming in C for about 4 years. I started programming in
open source projects, so I understand some of the etiquette which is
common between them. For example, I worked quite a bit on some of Drew
DeVault's C projects, such as Sway[0]; I have contributed a patch to
QEMU; and I have worked on various projects in Rust, culminating in my
kernel[1].
I have experience with communicating through email and IRC, but less so
with using version control systems like `cvs` and `hg` (but I have used
git and email based workflows to a larger extent).
Furthermore, I have little direct experience with NetBSD, even though I
have done hobby kernel development (including writing a scheduler) on my
own.

This is why I wanted to reach out:
I am very interested in the "Tickless NetBSD with high-resolution
timers"[2] project, however I am not sure if I have the necessary
experience to complete all of the milestones listed.
If I were to work on this project, I would have to spend some time
getting used to the NetBSD kernel, since the project touches many
aspects of it.

So, if this is an acceptable project for me, I would like help finding
resources on how to better know the kernel, especially the scheduler and
other subsystems related to this project. Otherwise, I would appreciate
if someone could point me toward another place where I could contribute.

Either way, I am planning on sending an email to tech-userland
concerning an easier project.

If you would like to contact me outside of email, I am "pounce" on
freenode and most other irc networks.

Thank you,
Calvin Lee

[0]: https://swaywm.org/
(would probably not work on NetBSD due to Wayland not being cross
platform)
[1]: https://github.com/ESALP/ESALP-1
[2]: https://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/tickless/