Re: RFC: New userspace fetch/store API

> On Feb 27, 2019, at 3:01 PM, Jason Thorpe <thorpej%me.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> I've made a bunch of progress on this, so far converting every architecture except for ia64 at this point ... I may punt on that and let someone else worry about fixing it up (i.e. I'll add stubs that just error out) .. I refreshed the toolchains on my builder overnight, and am going to build test kernels for most of the platforms we support.  I'll test what I have hardware for, and what I can quickly set up simulators for, but I'm going to need help from others to get this all tested.
>
> Things that I can easily test directly:
>
> 	-- amd64 (using a VMware VM)
> 	-- i386 (using a VMware VM)
> 	-- aarch64 (using a Pinebook)
> 	-- arm (using an ARMv6 Raspberry Pi) -- will exercise the ARMv4 and pre-ARMv4 code paths in this case.
>
> I'm going to spend some time over the next few evenings getting Qemu emulators up and running for smattering of systems (although I have been having trouble getting Qemu guest networking working on a macOS host).  What I plan to test under Qemu:
>
> 	-- mips (32-bit, at least)
> 	-- powerpc
> 	-- sparc
> 	-- sparc64

UPDATE:

I have successfully tested:

	-- aarch64 (Qemu aarch64)
	-- amd64 (x86_64 VMware VM)
	-- arm (Qemu arm; tested armv3[no ldrh] and armv4[yes ldrh] code paths
	-- i386 (x86 VMware VM)
	-- sparc (Qemu sparc)

I have setups to test, but am having troubles with:

	-- sparc64 -- but Qemu is giving me trouble with disk / network, so need to get that fixed first
	-- vax -- but my SIMH network setup stopped working, so I need to figure that out
	-- mips -- but gxemul doesn't seem to have good host networking capabilities, and evbmips MALTA hangs in Qemu when attaching gt0

Platforms where a good emulation environment seems to exist, but I haven't set one up yet:

	-- powerpc (Qemu?)

Platforms I need help with due to lack of good emulation environments:

	-- alpha (I have no clue how well SIMH's alpha simulator works)
	-- hppa (Qemu doesn't support system emulation of hppa)
	-- m68k (no good simulation environment that I can run, AFAICT)
	-- sh3 (seems we don't support the boards that Qemu emulates, and also lack of networking in gxemul Dreamcast emulation)

And in the WTF category:

	-- or1k -- port is incomplete
	-- riscv -- port is incomplete
	-- ia64 -- I decided to accept the pain and learn some ia64 assembly, but I don't know the state of the port, so... ?
	-- usermode ... ??

ia64 compiles, at least.

So, any volunteers who can help me test alpha, hppa, m68k, and sh3?  Let's start with those for now, since I don't have any clear path to test them myself.

Thanks!

-- thorpej