Re: RFC: New userspace fetch/store API

> On Feb 26, 2019, at 2:03 PM, Simon Burge <simonb%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
>> ... whether or not disc
>> brakes are appropriate for road racing bicycles.
>
> Having recently converted, the answer is "yes".  No debate needed :)

I guess I'm just a luddite, but I do have disc brakes on my tandem :-)

ANYWAY...

I've made a bunch of progress on this, so far converting every architecture except for ia64 at this point ... I may punt on that and let someone else worry about fixing it up (i.e. I'll add stubs that just error out) .. I refreshed the toolchains on my builder overnight, and am going to build test kernels for most of the platforms we support.  I'll test what I have hardware for, and what I can quickly set up simulators for, but I'm going to need help from others to get this all tested.

Things that I can easily test directly:

	-- amd64 (using a VMware VM)
	-- i386 (using a VMware VM)
	-- aarch64 (using a Pinebook)
	-- arm (using an ARMv6 Raspberry Pi) -- will exercise the ARMv4 and pre-ARMv4 code paths in this case.

I'm going to spend some time over the next few evenings getting Qemu emulators up and running for smattering of systems (although I have been having trouble getting Qemu guest networking working on a macOS host).  What I plan to test under Qemu:

	-- mips (32-bit, at least)
	-- powerpc
	-- sparc
	-- sparc64

...and if I get around to setting up SIMH, I will test vax myself, as well.

I'll need help with everything else... ping me off list if you can help!

Happily, I have an ATF unit test that exercises all of new functions, so anyone willing to volunteer to help me test it will have an easy time of it.

-- thorpej