Re: Support for tv_sec=-1 (one second before the epoch) timestamps?

On Dec 14,  2:38pm, <Paul.Koning%dell.com@localhost> wrote:
} > On Dec 14, 2018, at 9:30 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
} > On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 02:37:06AM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
} >> In real life it's often needed to store time_t pointing before the UNIX
} >> epoch.
} >
} > Again, I quite disagree and believe that you are confusing two different
} > things. It makes perfect sense in certain applications to store time as
} > relative to the UNIX epoch. But that's not the same as time_t which is a
} > specific type for a *system* interface. I'm strongly question the
} > sensibility of trying to put dates before 1970 in the context of time_t.
}
} I'm not sure if people care about this example, but here's one:
} if you want to archive old files with their original timestamps,
} and those files predate the epoch.

     Where are you going to get files that predate the epoch?  I would
expect those to be extremely rare.

}-- End of excerpt from <Paul.Koning%dell.com@localhost>